Thursday, September 30, 2010

Thanks Chopper Boy

Here's a photo me and Joe just barely missed getting. This one is a no lander.

So this rail is perfect, but its in a pretty sketchy side of Newark. The hood usually treats skaters well so we didn't think much, I just thought we weren't going to get booted. I scoped this thing at least 3 times before I was able to get Joe and Wes in Newark at the same time. So we get here finally and I start rolling up and doin bullshit attempts. As I'm trying there is a crowd across the road, some ridiculously dressed dude, and a mom and her kid all watching generally being stoked on me trying it. Everyone except this one guy who wasn't hyped at all. He was talking to Wes and Joe apparently saying some sketchy shit as I was trying it. So it gets the point where he just shuts it down, tells me I cant try it anymore before I get physically hurt..."and not from your skateboard." So basically I was fucked, he waited around a little and walked away slowly and around the corner. I was super pissed and a guy across the street noticed and came over. He was drinking white wine with ice out of a pint container around 4pm, dude was gnarly looking. He said his name was Chopper Boy. He looked me right in the eyes and said "For real though, It aint worth gettin hurt for Youtube." I tried explaining it more saying how badly I wanted to keep trying. He said something like "If you got it than I say you do it" or something. Basically he gave me the balls to keep trying it while there's a guy with a gun I'm convinced around the corner. So me and Wes bum rush this thing and I try it like 6 times under a minute. Joe had the car running ready to dip soon as we got it. I wound up doing it but we couldn't re setup the photo gear, and not have a get away driver so we only filmed it. For sake of story, this photo does fine.

Thanks Chopper Boy. In fact I think that's him in the way right hand side of the frame chillin' on the stoop holding his wine.

4 comments:

  1. all you had to say was landed: shitty story that wasted not only your time but everyone who reads this. nick = -1

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't pay attention to the haters. i liked the story, thought it put all that shit into good perspective. sick that you actually got it even though there was probably some dude with a gun. thats sketchy as fuck. can't wait to see the footy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice to see some words. makes me feel like i was there.

    ReplyDelete